National Child Day (November 20, 2010) gives recognition to children as important and valued members of our society. It reminds us that children need love and respect to grow to their full potential.
“…this right shall include freedom to seek, receive and impart information and ideas of all kinds, regardless of frontiers, either orally, in writing or in print, in the form of art, or through other media of the child’s choice.”
What better way to celebrate than for a child to tell a story or create their own music with instruments they made and decorated themselves?
Are your children too young to write? No problem;
What about having the children create a communal story? Have your child(ren) and their friends participate in the creation of one story. Whether the story is created this way or individually, have the children dictate the story to you; they could also create picture books.
Make your own Guitar!
- Draw and cut out a guitar shape from a piece of cardboard.
- Trace a food container and cut out the circle.
- Sit the food container in the hole, with tape if necessary.
- With a pencil, poke 3 holes in the cardboard above/below the container.
- Cut rubber bands and thread them over the container, through the holes.
- On the back, pull the bands through, tight, and tape them down.