Bubbles are a great summertime activity. Have some fun making bubble solution and bubble pipes with your children! Try either of these easy recipes for making your own bubble solutions:
To make a simple bubble solution, mix together liquid dish detergent and water, or try this recipe for Homemade Bubble Solution. Mix together:
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 cup liquid dishwashing soap
- 1/4 cup glycerin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Add a few drops of food colouring to make pretty coloured bubbles!
Use various things from around the houses to blow spectacular bubbles. Try funnels, straws and the plastic rings from 6-packs of canned pop or juice. Dip the objects in the bubble solution and blow through them, or wave them through the air like wands.
For another fun activity, have your children make their own “Bubble Pipes”. You will need a paper cup and a straw:
- Poke a pencil hole on the side of a paper cup, one inch from the bottom, and stick a drinking straw through it, halfway into the cup.
- Pour bubble solution into the cup until the straw is covered.
- Blow gently through the straw until bubbles froth over the rim of the cup and fill the air.
Talk to your children about the bubbles. Bubbles are great ways to talk and learn about soap film, light, and circles. Some questions you might ask are:
- How would you describe bubbles?
- What can you do with bubbles?
- Do all bubbles act the same way?
When the fun is done, the bubble solution can be stored in a plastic container with a tight-fitting lid. It will be ready to bring out another day for some more bubble fun!