How do I help my child care for their teeth and prevent cavities?
- Brush twice a day
- Floss daily to remove plaque from between your teeth and under the gum line, before it can harden into tartar
- Eat a well-balanced diet that limits starchy or sugary foods, which produces plaque acid that cause tooth decay
- Use dental products that contain fluoride, including toothpaste
- Take your child to the dentist for regular checkups
What brushing technique can I show my child?
- Use a pea-sized dab of toothpaste
- Using a soft-bristled toothbrush, brush the inside surface of each tooth first. Brush gently back and forth.
- Clean the outer surfaces of each tooth. Angle the brush along the outer gum line. Gently brush back and forth.
- Brush the chewing surface of each tooth. Gently brush back and forth.
- Use the tip of the brush to clean behind each front tooth, both top and bottom.
- It’s always fun to brush the tongue!
With Easter on the way, there are a few alternatives to eating so much chocolate and candy. Here is an example that I like. Eggs are good for you and also help you use up those decorated eggs in a fun way.