Children naturally love music! Whether it’s soft and soothing or a lively tune, children feel it both physically and emotionally. Music is an important part of life, both for children, but for parents as well. It gives ample opportunity to come together, be silly and enjoy music, whether it is singing, dancing, or playing it.
Music can also help make routine activities fun, such as gathering children in a circle or group activity. Music helps set a mood. Quiet, soothing music calms and relaxes children, while a lively marching tune energizes them for clean-up time.
Here are skills that music and movement can develop:
- Participating in a group
- Social skills
- Express emotions
- Creativity and imagination
- Learn new words and concepts
- Improve balance, coordination, and rhythm from dance and movement activities
- Explore cause and effect
- Awareness of movement and body positions
- Develop large motor skills
- Improve small motor skills – learning finger plays and playing musical instruments
The list can go on and on about the benefits of music. Why not try singing a song from your childhood or turning on the radio and dancing around the house as a family? The whole family can participate and share much laughter and memories together!