This week is Sun Awareness Week. Summertime is a great time to get outdoors and enjoy various activities with your family. Going to the beach, playing at the park, and camping are among family favorites. Although playing outdoors is fun, we need to make sure that we protect our family and ourselves from the sun. It is very easy. Just remember the following key points:
1) Limit time in the midday sun – the sun is at its strongest between the hours of 11am and 4pm. Whenever possible, limit the amount of exposure during these times.
2) When your shadow is shorter than you, look for shade – enjoy time outside under a tree, umbrella, or in the shade of a building. Planting trees together would not only be a fun outdoor activity, but you would also be creating shade in your yard and helping the environment.
3) When the UV index is 3 or higher, wear protective clothing – wear loose fitting, full-length shirts and pants. Wear a wide brimmed hat. This applies for everyone in the family. Also, don’t forget to put on the sunglasses.
4) Wear sunscreen! Choose a sunscreen that protects you from UVA and UVB rays. Make sure that it is at least an SPF 15. Remember to apply it 15-30 minutes before sun exposure, 30 minutes after exposure begins and after kids have been swimming or sweating.
5) It is also very important to keep hydrated. Drink plenty of water and have fun!
Here is a link on Sun Safety: