Camping is a favorite summertime activity in my home. What a wonderful opportunity to learn and spend time with each other. There are so many new things to explore and talk about out in the wild. It is a great chance to leave the TV’s, computers and cell phones at home, relax, play some games and enjoy each other’s company.
There are many fun and educational things to do while camping. Here are a few examples:
- Catch glow bugs in a jar. Talk about why they glow.
- Bird watch – borrow a book about different species of birds from the library and go out and try to find some of the birds in the book
- Play hide and seek – this is especially fun in the dark
- Collect shells or rocks
- Write a poem or a story (a campfire story) about your journey outdoors
- Paint a picture – talk about the different colours and textures you see while camping
- Play cards – this is fun around a campfire. Play games such as Go Fish, Crazy 8’s or Old Maid.
- Sing campfire songs
- Go on a picnic
- Stare up at the stars and try to point out the constellations
- See what kinds of bugs you can collect
- Go on a nature hike
- Make friends with the campers of nearby campsites
You don’t even have to leave your own backyard. Set a tent up and have fun!