It’s raining; it’s pouring.
The old man is snoring.
He went to bed and bumped his head,
And he couldn’t get up in the morning!
Is rain is keeping you and your kids inside? Try some of these kid-tested rainy day activities!
- Binocular Scavenger Hunt – Make a list of outdoor things you can see out the windows using binoculars. Vary the items from tiny (a broken bit of green glass) to large (tree).
- Bake! Let your children help get out pans, measure and add ingredients and stir, stir, stir. The final product will cheer everyone on even the gloomiest rainy day!
- Make a Boat. Put a blue blanket on the floor and set a laundry basket or large box in the middle. Give children long spoons or paper rolls for oars. You might even make a sail!
- Build a Race Car: Get a large box from an appliance store. Get out the coloured paper and the markers and really deck it out. Dream of where you could go — on a safari or over the mountains!”
- Pitch a Tent. Use kitchen chairs and extra blankets to make a fort. Put pillows, blankets and stuffed toys inside. Pretend you are camping.
- Read a Story: Have your children decorate a large paper bag. Put 5 or 6 books inside. Draw one out and they will want to read it! And then the next one!
Don’t let a rainy day keep you inside all the time. Get bundled up and go play in the puddles. Jump from puddle to puddle, or look for rain soaked spider webs.