Is it time to enrol your preschooler into an early learning program? Your community may have a number of different choices such as:
- Playschool or Preschool Programs
- Child Care Programs (Daycares and licensed homes)
- Pre-Kindergarten Programs
Regulated programs such as Daycares and Pre-Kindergarten offer the added benefits of qualified staff and teachers, as well as standards for learning environments, nutrition and safety. Despite this, many Playschool and Preschool programs still offer wonderful quality early learning programs where 3 and 4 year olds can take part in crafts and activities that foster social skills, creativity and independence.
Here are some things to look for when choosing a quality early learning program for your child:
- Experienced teachers/staff are key! A low teacher-to-child ratio allows teachers to focus on the needs of each child. Be sure at least one staff member is certified in first aid and CPR.
- Curriculum that supports your child’s social, emotion, cognitive and physical growth. Look for a language-rich environment that supports your child’s learning in fun, engaging ways. Look for a combination of teacher guided lessons, child-directed exploration and hands on activities.
- You will also want to make sure the program meets your family’s needs in regards to location, hours, cost and nutrition.
Your child’s development will be shaped by these early years, so it’s important to make the best choice!