Even though your baby is very young, there are many opportunities for play! Here is a list of just a few ways to enjoy your time with your baby:
- Making objects and people disappear and reappear, such as games like Peek-A-Boo, is sure to delight your baby! Try different variations.
- Toys that make noise are fun for your little one. Being able to shake something and have an immediate response (noise) encourages your baby to experiment with objects.
- Using your hand to “act out” games and verses will help your baby pay attention to the rhythm of words. As he gets older, he can imitate the actions. Some favourites are “Hickory, dickory, dock, the mouse ran up the clock,” “Eensy, weensy spider,” and “I’m a Little Teapot.”
- Rocking and bouncing games can encourage your baby to learn about music and rhythm and about her own body, when you baby is old enough to safely do. They can be played on your lap or on the floor as your baby gets older. An example would be “Ride-a-Horse” while you gently bounce her on your lap. She may want to stand up and bounce too. Make sure that your baby is enjoying the game – don’t force it.
- Objects with different textures are fun for your baby to feel, such as textured fabric or different types of paper, like corrugated cardboard – under your supervision, of course.