Reading and telling stories will help build early literacy skills in your child. Here are some quick, easy to do activities with your child that help support their literacy development:
- Read together – This is a proven way to increase your child’s literacy development.
- Ask your child to tell you the story of one of their favourite books – Even if they didn’t get the story right; enjoy having them tell you the story.
- Remember when? – Tell family stories together. Everyone will have different memories to share. Have other family members add in what they remember. This is a great activity for grandparents. They can share the stories of their past.
- Photo stories – Take pictures of your child during different important life events. Have your child put the pictures in sequence. They can then make it into their very own personalized story book!
- Watch a story together – While screen time should be limited for young children, watching a show together provides the opportunity to discuss the story together and enrich the experience.
During these short activities with your child, they are:
- learning new words
- practicing their listening skills
- learning to communicate using words
- using memory and sequencing
- using imagination and creativity skills
- learning that reading is fun
- getting to spend quality time with you