When parents take care of themselves, they are calmer and have more patience with their children. You will be a better parent if you plan daily to take a little time and space for yourself.
As each day begins, spend one minute in bed and decide upon an activity you will do that day to do that will help you to:
- Listen to music or read a good book
- Watch a TV show you enjoy
- Take a nap
- Soak in a candlelit, warm bath
- Enjoy hobbies or interests such as cooking, gardening, music, art or sports
- Exercise ~ go for a walk, do yoga, or work-out
- Connect with other adults ~ go for coffee with friends, take a class that interests you, or go on a date night with your partner
Start small ~ promise yourself just 15 minutes per day. You will have more patience, energy and optimism for parenting when you take time for yourself!
Below is a recipe for a Vanilla Brown Sugar Scrub. Be sure to make a batch and pamper yourself…you will be glad you did!
Vanilla Brown Sugar Scrub
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp white sugar
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp vanilla
Mix the sugars, and slowly add the oil. Mix until well combined. Add vanilla. Pour into container and enjoy!